General School Wide Rules
DHS Cell Phone & Electronic Device Policy
Dunbar High School has a ZERO-tolerance for the use of cell phones during the instructional day. Therefore, DHS has adopted the following student cell phone and/or any other electronic device (i.e. tablet, iPad) for SY 2015-2016. This policy is designed to protect the educational program of all students but not to limit the home/school communications. In most cases, a student may be given permission to use an administrative office telephone to contact a parent/guardian in the event of an emergency. I-pods, CD players, cell phones, etc., are prohibited. Students’ carrying/playing/using these devices can expect to have them confiscated and taken to the office. Refusal to surrender the device upon request by a responsible adult will be viewed as insubordination and will be grounds for disciplinary action. Parents must come to the school to retrieve such items.
- Students must remain in class or cafeteria unless issued an agenda pass. Students found in other areas will be charged with loitering, and the appropriate administrative action will be taken.
- Under no circumstance are students to leave school property during the school day.
- Students are not permitted to invite or bring friends, relatives, or small children onto school property during school hours.
- Card playing or exchanging and other forms of gambling is a violation of regulations and will be dealt with via the Code of Student Conduct.
- Horseplay/running in the hallways is strictly forbidden. All staff members have the responsibility and authority to stop any student who is creating an unsafe environment.
- A public telephone is available for student use in the lobby at approved times. Students may also ask to use office telephones if they come on agenda passes.
- Hats/kuffis, coats, jackets may not be worn and book bags may not be carried during the school day. These items must be placed in lockers before going to homeroom.
- All students must pass through the scanner device.
- Classroom Rules & Expectations will be established and articulated by each grade level team, but will not override any school/district wide rules.